Sembcorp Utilities in India

Sembcorp develops, owns and operates assets in both thermal and renewable energy sectors in India. It has over 3,400 megawatts of power capacity in operation and under development in India, comprising 2,640 megawatts of thermal energy and over 800 megawatts of renewable energy. With a growing presence, Sembcorp is one of the biggest foreign investors in India's power sector in recent times.

Our power projects in India include:

Thermal Powertech Corporation India (TPCIL):


Sembcorp's first thermal power plant in India, TPCIL, is located in Krishnaptnam, SPSR Nellore District, Andhra Pradesh, India. The 1,320-megawatt coal-fired plant commenced commercial operation of its first 660-megawatt unit in February 2015. It has successfully commenced full commercial operation with the completion of its second 660-megawatt unit in September 2015.

The power plant utilises supercritical technology, which allows for enhanced efficiency and reduced emissions compared to other conventional coal-fired power plants. The plant is supplying power to the states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, helping to meet the increasing power demand in India.

Sembcorp owns 67.4% of TPCIL through its wholly-owned subsidiary, Sembcorp Utilities, while Gayatri Energy Ventures, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Gayatri Projects, owns the remaining 32.6%.

For more information on TPCIL and its compliance status, please click here.

NCC Power Projects (NCCPP):


Sembcorp's second thermal power plant, NCCPP, is located adjacent to TPCIL, allowing Sembcorp to benefit from substantial synergies, such as the use of a common coal importation and logistics infrastructure and management. The 1,320-megawatt coal-fired plant is expected to be completed in 2016.

Similar to TPCIL, NCCPP also utilises supercritical technology.

Sembcorp owns 49% of NCCPPL, while the remaining 51% is held by NCC Infrastructure Holdings, which is jointly owned by NCC Limited and Gayatri Energy Ventures.

For more information on NCCPP and its compliance status, please click here.

With a total project cost of approximately US$3 billion, both thermal power plants will play an essential role in helping to meet the increasing power demand in Andhra Pradesh and in India, as well as supporting economic growth in the region.

Sembcorp Green Infra:


Sembcorp Green Infra is a reputable renewable energy company in India with strong capabilities and an experienced team that can help accelerate the group's growth in the renewable energy sector. It has over 800 megawatts of wind and solar power assets in operation and under development located in the renewable resource-rich southern, western and central regions of India.

Sembcorp owns 64% of Sembcorp Green Infra, while the remaining is held by IDFC Private Equity Fund III, which is managed by IDFC Alternatives.

For more information on Sembcorp Green Infra, please click here.