Our use of cookies

We use cookies for website performance, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie Policy

Essential cookies

These cookies are intended to carry out activities that are strictly necessary for the basic operation of our website to function.

Non-essential cookies

They are used primarily for functional, analytics, performance, and advertisement purposes.


Sembcorp's First Coal-Fired Power Plant in India Commences Full Commercial Operation

September 14, 2015

Sembcorp Industries (Sembcorp) is pleased to announce that its power project in India, Thermal Powertech Corporation India (TPCIL), has successfully commenced full commercial operation with the completion of its second 660-megawatt unit. The approximately US$1.5 billion coal-fired power plant investment, which has a total capacity of 1,320 megawatts, has been operating steadily since April 2015 after the completion of its first 660-megawatt unit.

The plant, located in the coastal town of Krishnapatnam, Nellore in Andhra Pradesh, is already supplying 500 megawatts to the Andhra Pradesh and Telangana Power Distribution Companies under a 25-year power purchase agreement. The company intends to enter into new power purchase agreements in the near future.

Tang Kin Fei, Group President & CEO of Sembcorp, said, “The successful completion of our first coal-fired power plant investment in India is a significant milestone for Sembcorp. It demonstrates our strong capabilities in developing and executing large-scale greenfield projects. We now look forward to the completion of our second coal-fired power plant in Andhra Pradesh, which is expected in 2016. When fully operational, our two thermal power plants will generate a total of 2,640 megawatts of gross capacity. This will help to meet the increasing power demand in India and particularly the southern states.”

Sembcorp owns a 67.4% stake in TPCIL through its wholly-owned subsidiary, Sembcorp Utilities, while Gayatri Energy Ventures, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Gayatri Projects, owns the remaining 32.6%. Sembcorp is developing its second thermal power project in India: a 1,320-megawatt coal-fired power plant that is targeted to complete in 2016 and located adjacent to TPCIL. Sembcorp owns 49% in this second power project. Sembcorp also owns 64.06% in Sembcorp Green Infra, a renewable energy company in India with more than 700 megawatts of assets in operation and under development. With these three investments, Sembcorp has over 3,300 megawatts of power capacity in India.

The completion of TPCIL is not expected to have a material impact on the earnings per share and net asset value per share of Sembcorp Industries for the financial year ending December 31, 2015.

- END -

For media and analysts’ queries, please contact:

Melissa Yee (Ms)
Senior Manager
Group Corporate Relations
DID:    +65 6723 3326
Email: [email protected]

Aleve Co (Ms)
Senior Manager
Group Corporate Relations
DID: +65 6723 3178
Email: [email protected]


Sembcorp Industries is a leading energy, water and marine group operating across six continents worldwide. With facilities of over 8,200 megawatts of gross power capacity and over nine million cubic metres of water per day in operation and under development, Sembcorp is a trusted provider of essential energy and water solutions to both industrial and municipal customers. It is also a world leader in marine and offshore engineering, as well as an established brand name in urban development.

The Group has total assets of over S$18 billion and employs over 8,000 employees. Listed on the main board of the Singapore Exchange, it is a component stock of the Straits Times Index and several MSCI and FTSE indices.